One of the top issues for colleges and universities throughout the U.S. is where their alumni live and what they currently do. This is because (1) more and more funding in higher education is based on performance and outcomes and (2) according to HERI, 85% of students attend college to get a better job, and are naturally curious about what they can do with their education. They want to know the costs and benefits of college. It is therefore vital that colleges answer that critical question, “What do my past students actually do with their education?” from as many angles as possible.
Here’s a compelling dataset that can help. Emsi’s Alumni Insight features data from 65 million online professional profiles that people use to connect to each other and to new jobs. This data shows where people went to school and what they currently do in the labor market.
We recently conducted a little experiment in which we explored where graduates from Kansas’s major universities (Emporia State University, Fort Hays State University, Kansas State University, Pittsburg State University, University of Kansas, and Wichita State University) live and work today. Here are some of the results:
- Out of 65M professional profile users, 295,000 hailed from Kansas’s universities.
- 42.3% of them currently live in Kansas and 57.8% live out of state
- The top states for Kansas grads are Kansas, Missouri, Texas, California, Colorado, Illinois, and Florida
- The top 10 cities for Kansas grads are Kansas City, Wichita, Lawrence, Overland Park, Manhattan, Topeka, Olathe, Denver, Dallas, and Chicago
- The top employers are Cerner, Spirit Aerosystems, Black & Veatch, Boeing, Via Christi Health, Hallmark Cards, Garmin, Farmers Insurance, and Cargill.
- The top jobs that these grads have are project manager, sales manager, company president, physician, marketing manager, software engineer, registered nurse, nurse, accountant, and human resource manager
Things get even more interesting when we lay the data points on top of each other. For instance, how many grads work at just Boeing? Answer: 728. And we can even tell you who they are!
This is just scratching the surface of what Alumni Insight can do for colleges and universities tracing the value of their programs in the real world.
If you would like to learn more about this data, how it works, and what it can tell you about your alumni, please contact Rob Sentz at firstname.lastname@example.org.