Here is an assortment of education and workforce/economic development links that piqued our interest:
- Community College Times explores the different ways stimulus funds are being used at CCs around the country. As you might imagine, a big emphasis is on green jobs training.
- The West Michigan Business Review looks at how Michigan Works! Berrien, Cass and Van Buren — an EMSI client — is trying to dissuade jobseekers from having a negative image of manufacturing. It conducted a labor market analysis and determined advanced manufacturing will be in need of new workers because of growth and retirements.
- The New York Times’ Economix blog analyzes the December jobs reports by looking at three-month moving averages, which paint a more optimistic picture. Meanwhile, the Wall Street Journal writes how the broader measure of unemployment increased.
- CNNMoney.com and Fortune profile a wealthy Detroit investor who’s pumping money into turning the city’s vacant plots into farmland.
- The Chicago Tribune writes about an uptick in culinary classes at area community colleges.
- Florida leaders are devoting their attention to the state’s aerospace industry.