We are pleased to announce the release of our “beta,” or preview, EMSI 2011.4 dataset. This release reflects important updates from several important data sources. Note that in beta releases of EMSI data, input/output and detailed industry demographics are not updated immediately—initially those portions of the dataset are identical to the previous release.
Updated Data Sources In This Release
- Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages, Q1 2011 (BLS). These updates influence our 2011 job estimates. See NAICS 2012 note below.
- State Personal Income, new 2010 and revised 2008-09 (BEA). BEA provides our main source of noncovered employment totals, and we also use it for wage and salary employment in government and agriculture. BEA frequently revises historical data, sometimes with significant changes. This time we are seeing significant changes to employment figures in Agriculture, Government, Oil & Gas Extraction, Financial Services, and other sectors.
- Nonemployer Statistics, 2009 (Census). This dataset, in combination with others, helps us create detailed estimates of proprietor employment at the county level.
- Zip Code Business Patterns, 2009 (Census). ZBP helps us break out detailed county-level employment to current zip code areas.
- Current Employment Statistics, Jan-August 2011 (BLS). This dataset helps us form an estimate of final 2011 annual job averages ahead of final, detailed figures from QCEW, which are not yet released.
There were no significant methodological changes in this release.
- QCEW has moved to NAICS 2012. QCEW has released Q1 2011 data in NAICS 2012. EMSI will not change to NAICS 2012 industry codes until we have more data; thus, we are currently converting the new QCEW data back to NAICS 2007 codes.
Questions? Contact Us
If you have any questions or feedback about the new data, please contact Customer Solutions at (866) 999-3674 or via the online chat feature within EMSI Analyst.
Primary Industry/Occupation Data Source Information
This table contains information on our major data sources used for each EMSI release.
|name||Abbrev||Source||Version Used (EMSI 2011.4)||Version Used (EMSI 2011.3)|
|State Personal Income||SPI||BEA||2010||2009|
|Local Area Personal Income||LPI||BEA||2009||2009|
|Industry Economic Accounts||IEA||BEA||2002-2009||2002-2009|
|American Community Survey||ACS||Census||2005-2009||2005-2009|
|County Business Patterns||CBP||Census||2009||2009|
|ZIP Code Business Patterns||ZBP||Census||2009||2008|
|Quarterly Census of Employment and Wages||QCEW||BLS||2011 Q1||2010 Q4|
|Current Employment Statistics||CES||BLS||1-Aug-01||May-11|
|Natl. Employment Projections (incl. Ind-Occ Matrix)||EP||BLS||2008-18||2008-18|