For the past few years EMSI has been assisting higher ed institutions with gainful employment regulations. In particular, we have deployed Career Coach to provide the key employment data that students need to see before they enroll in a program. For more background, you can read these blog posts:
The U.S. Department of Education recently released new gainful employment (GE) rules that will force institutions to update their 2011-2012 GE program disclosures by January 31, 2013. If you haven’t yet, please read the announcement here. The new information is based on federal court rulings that threw out certain requirements in the initial regulatory package. The Department of Education still has the option to draft an amended version of the overturned provisions, but there is no indication that it is prepared to do so.
So, How Can EMSI Help?
Already EMSI has helped quite a few colleges by building a data template and easy-to-implement program page disclosure widget. The disclosure requirements are still in effect after the federal court ruling in June.
Here is a quick look at what must be included to address the latest round of rules:
- Occupations by names and Standard Occupational Codes (SOC) that the program prepares students to enter;
- Normal time to complete the program (e.g., one-year certificate program);
- On-time graduation rate for completers;
- Tuition and fees for completing the program in the normal time, costs for book and supplies, and costs for room and board, if applicable;
- Placement rate for completers, if required by state or accreditor; and
- Median educational loan debt incurred by completers, disclosed in three separate categories: Title IV loans, private loans, and institutional debt.
On January 3, at 2 p.m. EST, members of our development staff will host a webinar to cover important background on the USDE’s new regulations geared toward for-profit colleges and vocational programs in general. We will go in depth on how EMSI can help colleges comply with parts of the GE regulations with Career Coach, custom program mapping, and disclosure widgets.
Here is an example of our latest widget:
Participants will hear the latest on gainful employment, how EMSI’s clients are adapting, and why EMSI is ideally suited to assist colleges link their educational programs to occupations and display data that can be easily absorbed by visitors to their website.
To register for the Jan. 3 webinar, please contact Char Scheibe. Or feel free to call us at 208.883.3500 and ask for Char. She will send out the details of the call.