The “beta” or preview version of EMSI’s 2013.4 data release — the final of our quarterly data releases for 2013 — is now available in Analyst, our labor market research tool. The most significant change in this release is the use of updated versions of key data sources.
Analyst users can access 2013.4 beta by clicking the dataset version option in the black footer bar at the bottom of the screen in the tool.
Updated Data Sources in This Release
- Current Employment Statistics, up to August 2013 (BLS). This dataset helps us form an estimate of 2013 annual job averages ahead of final, detailed figures from QCEW.
- Quarterly Census of Employment & Wages, Q1 2013 (BLS). This is the most complete source for wage and salary industry employment data.
- State Industry Projections. In this release we use updated long-term industry projections for the following states: IN, KS, NH, NM, OK, SC, and WA. We collect long-term industry projections from each state on a regular basis.
- Quarterly Workforce Indicators, Releases as of September 2013 (Census, LEHD). This source provides demographics by industry for jobs. (Different states have different data release schedules.)
- SAM model sources: Gross State Product (Bureau of Economic Analysis) and Census of Governments (Census Bureau) updates were incorporated in to EMSI’s SAM model.
Classification and Methodology Changes
There were no major methodology changes for this release.
Note on NAICS 2012
QCEW 2011 onward (and CES) data are published in NAICS 2012 codes. EMSI currently converts this data back to NAICS 2007 codes. EMSI is planning to move all data to NAICS 2012 sometime in 2014.