In one of EMSI’s best-attended webinars yet, Todd Reiland presented yesterday about how the College of Central Florida (CF) developed college-wide student success strategies with its wildly popular Career Coach app—a story that was also covered in this case study.
“To be honest, [Career Coach] sold itself [to faculty and staff],” said Reiland, placement specialist at CF. “I presented it at the overview, and I got a lot of ‘Oohs’ and ‘Awws’ from the vice presidents and the deans, and they were excited to see it utilized.”
You can view a recording of Reiland’s presentation below and access his Prezi slides here.
Here are key takeaways from Reiland’s presentation:
- Reiland values how quickly tasks can be completed in Career Coach—from the six-question assessment to the ability to create a resume in a few minutes. “I’m of the millennial generation,” Reiland said. “We’re all about instant gratification. So, when it comes to something that is going to take longer than five minutes, I typically pass on that.”
- Reiland reviewed strategies to get faculty and staff buy-in and to break down the silos between a variety of departments. These strategies include ongoing training programs and taking stock of their recommendations about how Career Coach could be best utilized in their departments.
- The Career Coach Plugin, located on all of CF’s program webpages, makes it easy for prospective students, current students, and community members to access the app. “This is where a lot of our traffic comes from,” Reiland said. “It comes from our website, and it comes from our advisors using the tool with the students.”
- Career Coach is included in the college’s quality enhancement plan, StartSmart@CF, which focuses on enhancing the first-year experience. “We wanted to make sure that [students] start on the right path and don’t bounce back and forth between degree programs,” Reiland said.
- Next steps for CF include integrating Career Coach into its outreach programs for high school students.
There were a few resources mentioned in the webinar that may be valuable as you get to know Career Coach and begin implementing it on your campus. The Career Coach class activity and worksheet, as well as other resources, can be found here.