Last year the Siemens Foundation partnered with the Aspen Institute’s College Excellence Program to create the Siemens-Aspen Community College STEM Award. The award is designed to “highlight the value that community colleges can provide individuals, communities, and businesses across the United States through excellent programs that prepare students for middle-skill jobs in science, technology, engineering, and math fields.”
Today, the second group of winners was announced at the National Skills Coalition’s Skills Summit.
I was very proud to be a member of the selection committee to choose and highlight the winners—eight colleges that are exemplars of preparing students for opportunities in STEM. The winning colleges demonstrated (among other things) labor market demand for their programs, solid employer partnerships, and labor market outcomes for past students. Each winner receives $50,000 and now has the opportunity to highlight students that have found good careers as a result of these programs. You can learn more about last year’s winners and their students here.
Please join us in congratulating the 2018 winners!
- South Central College (Mankato, Minnesota) – Computer Integrated Machining
- Central New Mexico Community College (Albuquerque, New Mexico) – Electrical Trades
- Mitchell Technical Institute (Mitchell, South Dakota) – Power Line Construction and Maintenance
- Broward College (Fort Lauderdale, Florida) – Nursing
- Hillsborough Community College (Tampa, Florida) – Paramedic Certificate
- Ozarks Technical Community College (Springfield, Missouri) – Dental Hygiene
- Miami-Dade College (Miami, Florida) – Miami Animation and Gaming International Complex (MAGIC)
- Valencia College (Orlando, Florida) – Network Engineering Technology
Feel free to share the news on social media. Use #SiemensAspenSTEM. You can also use #middleskill, #wkdev, #2018SkillsSummit, #communitycolleges, and #STEM. Thanks, and let us know if you have any questions!
Here is more about the program.
Contact Rob Sentz at firstname.lastname@example.org.