PanelPicker voting is now open for SXSW EDU 2020! Emsi is proud to share that our own Dr. Yustina Saleh, senior vice president of data and analytics, and Dr. Michelle Weise from the Strada Institute for the Future of Work are teaming up for a proposed conference session titled, The New Geography of Skills.
The proposed panel will explore new research from Emsi and the Strada Institute that uses groundbreaking skill cluster analysis to identify the unique shape of employer demand in different regions of the country. For example, what’s the difference between an advanced manufacturing role in Columbus, OH vs. Houston, TX? And what does a cyber security role look like in Washington D.C. compared to Seattle?
Most importantly, the panel will consider how to use this information to help adult learners and incumbent workers who may feel stuck in their current role. This includes helping workers understand how the skills they already have translate to in-demand areas of work in their local economy, as well as helping them identify where they might need to upskill to achieve better pay and career prospects.
Your vote counts
If you’d like to see this important conversation take place next March in Austin, TX vote now on the SXSW EDU PanelPicker site! Voting is only open through Friday, August 23 and makes up an important part (30%) of how sessions are selected for the conference.
(Note: You do not need to register for the conference in order to vote, but you will need to login to your SXSW account. Don’t have one? Sign up for free!)
While many geographic regions are experiencing job growth in common industries, the skills needed to fill those jobs are not necessarily the same. This session takes a look at which skills are in highest demand within different regions of the U.S. and discusses how employers and higher ed can work together to build their local talent pipelines.
- Understand the different types of in-demand skills associated with economic regions within the nation’s fastest-growing industries.
- Gain clarity on how to align the right credentials to in-demand skills within your economic region.
- Take back ideas on how to facilitate collaboration between higher ed and workforce development efforts at the regional level.
- Sara Clarke, Assistant Managing Editor, U.S. News and World Report
- Michelle Weise, Chief Innovation Officer, Strada Institute for the Future of Work
- Yustina Saleh, Senior Vice President, Analytics, Emsi
Other sessions from Strada Education Network affiliates
A record number of proposals were submitted for SXSW EDU 2020, including five thought-provoking topics from our friends and fellow affiliates of the Strada Education Network. You can vote once for each session, so there’s no need to pick and choose!
- The Future of College Credentials (Strada)
- Breaking the Poverty Cycle: A Funder’s Perspective (Strada)
- A Roadmap to Fulfilling Work (Roadtrip Nation)
- Emerging Strategies for Employee Retention (CAEL)
- Next Generation Integration Scorecard (Dxtera Institute)
Attendees of Emsi2019 will get an early look at the new geography of skills during Dr. Weise’s keynote address. To learn more about Emsi’s solutions for higher education, visit our site or contact us. We’d love to hear about the work you’re doing and explore how Emsi data can help!